Getting married on a beach in Costa Rica is a dream for many! Getting married in Costa Rica offers a unique opportunity to enjoy an important life-moment with friends and family in one of the most beautiful and picturesque places in the world. The beach is always linked to fun, play, and positive emotions and energy. Nobody goes to the beach to have a bad time! Your beach wedding in Costa Rica can be the perfect combination of having an affordable beach wedding and a perfect holiday.
Your Big Day should be memorable! Getting married on a beach, a lush mountain or in a mystical rainforest will definitely be an event your family and friends will remember. A beach wedding in Costa Rica is a popular choice, but, like any destination, it comes with a set of do’s don’ts and important considerations.
Here are some of the things to keep in mind when planning a beach wedding in Costa Rica.
Costa Rican Beaches Offer Unique Settings
In Costa Rica, there are countless beaches, each with its unique beauty. The country’s coastline stretches down the Pacific Ocean in the west and the Caribbean Sea to the east. Some beaches are famous for waves and surf, other for crystal clear blue waters. The type of sand can also be different. Black sand beaches can give you awesome pictures and a really out-of-the-ordinary wedding, white sand beaches are associated with relaxation and luxury. It will all basically depend on what you are looking for, but getting married on the beach is definitely a memorable experience for everyone.
Black Beach Weddings in Costa Rica
As its name implies the sand of these mystical beaches is completely black as the result of lava deposits from the more than 50 active volcanoes across Costa Rica. A wedding held in any of these magnificent beaches will surely be remembered for decades. Black beach weddings in Costa Rica can take place in Puerto Viejo, Playa Hermosa, Pavones, Los Pargos, and Playa Panama.
White Sand Beach Weddings in Costa Rica
White sand is a lot more common and more popular. Their sand is softer, silkier and they don’t absorb that much heat, which is perfect if you want your guests to be barefoot. Some popular white-sand beaches are: Manuel Antonio, Playa Conchal, Playa Avellanas and Playa Grande.
Types of Beach Weddings in Costa Rica
Do you want a toes-in-sand experience or just a beautiful venue next to the sea? This is a big question when it comes to logistics because there are many variables.
Toes-in-Sand Beach Wedding
A great option for a unique experience. These are the most important questions to ask:
- Do you need a permit to use the beach?
- Does the beach have electricity and other services?
- Pay attention to the weather forecast, wind, rain, and especially tides.
- Are there insects? Is there enough shade?
Ocean-Front Beach Wedding
These are easier to organize and still offer great views. Things to keep in mind:
- Tell your guests in advance about the venue and its rules and regulations.
- Give out a beach swag: If the reception is going to be held at night, some visitors may need insect repellent, if it is during the day they may need sunscreen – it’s a nice touch to ensure your guests are comfortable.
Each type of beach wedding will have advantages and disadvantages. For instance, if you want to have both events (wedding and reception) at the beach, there’s a bit more work involved – but the payoff is a one-of-a-kind event that everyone will remember. If you choose to have it at a resort, next to a beautiful beach, many things can be taken care of by the resort itself.
Hire a Costa Rican Wedding Planner
If you want to get an affordable beach wedding the best plan would be to look for a wedding planner based in Costa Rica. This way you will find the best vendors and services and the ones that offer the best prices. Local planners already know the requirements for a wedding and reception on a beach in Costa Rica
A good planner can find the right photographer, florist, caterer and more. If you want to bring your own photographer to your wedding, make sure he or she has some experience working with beach weddings. This will be crucial in handling natural light and shades, and making the most out of the jaw-dropping views in Costa Rica.
Costa Rican Beach Wedding: Do’s & Don’ts
- Avoid the full-size dress or ball gown. It will be hot and humid; besides, the beach is the perfect place to let go a little bit and opt for a more relaxed dress, of a light fabric that lets your skin breathe. Also, remember that if it gets windy, wearing a veil or long hair can be annoying, so go for the updo and stay fresh and happy.
- Cotton, crepe or linen are the best fabrics to wear for everyone: the groom, bridesmaids, and groomsmen. It will be simple, elegant and airy. A very common theme for getting married on a beach in Costa Rica is a “white wedding” in which everybody, not only the bride, go in white clothing. If you want a more colorful theme, try a tropical set of colors and let your guests follow the palette.
- Don’t plan without the proper permits or information. Just because you have chosen a public beach for your wedding it does not mean you are free to use the place in that way, especially if you want to use music and set some tables.
- Don’t try to do everything yourself. Planning your beach wedding should be fun, not stressful. However, it is a lot of work. Many details have to be carefully coordinated and the best would be to have a wedding planner to help you out.
- Don’t skip the requirement list. Getting married on a beach in Costa Rica is still a wedding, and if you want your marriage to be legal, there is a list of requirements that you should fulfill. Hire a lawyer and make sure you have all the right papers.
- Don’t forget about the weather. Pick your day according to the weather forecast and have your wedding planner think of a plan B in case of rain or any other natural surprise.
Beach Wedding at Drift Away Eco-Lodge
There are three beautiful beaches within 2 kilometers from the Drift Away Eco Lodge that could be used for your dream wedding. Just minutes away from the lodge there are locations that overlook the beach or there are beautiful spots where you can get married on the beach right on the sand.
You can also have your ceremony on the beach and then the reception at our beautiful eco-lodge. The management and staff at Drift Away Eco-Lodge are available to help you with all the logistics to avoid any unpleasant surprises. Send us an email and let’s chat!
Ready, set, “I do!”
It’s a good idea to have an item-checklist. Don’t forget:
- Offer refreshments or ice water at the beginning. Costa Rica has a tropical climate and you don’t want your wedding guests to be dehydrated and feel sick during the ceremony.
- Use seats that don’t sink in the sand or get blown away by the wind.
- Make sure there is enough shade. A tent or canopy can be a great help.
- Remember the décor could also be blown by the wind. Keep it secured with some weight if they can’t be tied.
Have fun and have a great beach wedding in Costa Rica! Enjoy the view, the sea breezes and the warm climate. All the effort will pay off once you see the ceremony is done and everyone wears a happy, “Pura Vida” smile on their faces.